Your former manager. What exercise they even know virtually you? They know just the surface, the results yous accomplished, or failed to achieve in your work. But they tin inappreciably know the true reasons. They neither saw into your head, nor understood the chemical science in your team, and the conflicts y'all had with some colleagues. At the stop of the day they do non know much. Or am I incorrect?

Not every interview question makes sense. This one is definitely questionable. But hiring managers may ask y'all all kinds of questions with all sorts of intentions, and some of them may refer to your one-time managers–your opinion on them, or their opinion on you.

Let'south have a wait at 7 sample answers to this tricky question first. Practice non forget to read as well my notes below the answers, as they will assistance you lot to choose the best answer for your item state of affairs in an interview.

7 sample answers to "What are three things your former managing director would like you to ameliorate on?" interview question

  1. Punctuality, speed of piece of work, and maybe communication with them. One of the reasons why I had to leave my final job was that I didn't handle the workload. The working environment was extremely fast-paced, and half of the workers struggled to meet the quotes. Simply I have the feeling that if the communication with the management was better–and certainly nosotros could impact it every bit employees, things could have turned out differently. Anyhow, I learned my lesson, and in my new job I want to provide effective feedback to my managers. And I also want to work in a different field, one where quality matters more than speed of work. That's the reason I am applying with y'all.
  2. Speaking honestly, I am not sure if they saw whatsoever areas for improvement. At least they never told me annihilation. I decided to leave the visitor, it wasn't the decision of the managing director. They seemed satisfied with my work. But I did not feel intellectually challenged anymore, and lost my motivation completely. I asked them for promotion but the answer was negative and I decided to go out and await for another job. Having said that, I do non consider myself a perfect employee. I am enlightened of my weaknesses–though my former manager might non spot them. I try to improve on them.
  3. They would similar me to piece of work overtime each 24-hour interval, to have a total obedience to the managers and a to demonstrate a superb loyalty to the visitor. But that is non something I am looking for in my life. I seek a decent work-life balance, because I accept a family and I attempt to pursue some harmony in life. Piece of work and money isn't everything for me, though I certainly had some colleagues with such a mindset–and they were very popular with the managers. I actually decided to use for a job with you considering I similar the working hours and the fact that nobody stays overtime hither.
  1. I really take no idea. You would have to ask them. My contract was terminated without any apparent explanation. I tried my best in piece of work, and did non feel that I missed on my targets or anything. But they still decided to cease my contract, and I have a feeling–though I can be wrong–that information technology had a lot to practice with personal preferences and with protecting their position in the company. I feel that they would be more happy if I didn't try to so hard and did not achieve such practiced results. Considering with my results I was a threat for their position. And that may be the real reason why they terminated my contract. They had the power and they did information technology.
  2. I often asked my manager for feedback on my work, considering I was new in the store, and wanted to do the things well. They felt that I should improve my advice with the customer. They observed that I did non keep eye contact, and I also often missed an opportunity for an up-sell. They mentioned these two things frequently, and I honestly recollect that I improved somehow over time. It was a short fourth dimension contract, all the same, only for the summertime, and I didn't take enough time to perfect my client service skills.
  3. This is my first job application, so I cannot really tell, because I take never worked under anyone. However, I want to assure you that I am receptive to constructive feedback, and would love to take a manager who'd assist me to grow as a professional in this field, and perhaps too as a human existence. Because I know that we are often blind to our weaknesses, and nosotros need others to tell united states how we can improve, in both work and life outside of piece of work.
  4. I think that before annihilation else, they'd similar me to improve on my leadership skills. We missed a natural leader in our squad, and they wanted me to step into the leadership role. But I didn't know how to exercise so. They didn't provide whatsoever grooming, and I neither am a born leader, nor take years of feel under my belt. I failed to encounter their expectations, and had to become. Merely I do not consider it a tragedy. It's simply how things are with employment and jobs–sometimes there is a bang-up match and sometimes we have to leave and find a better friction match for our skills and personality. The second is the case with my last task, and I hope for a different outcome in the next ane.

We can ameliorate, but we take our limits

Managers may take unrealistic expectations on their subordinates. It can be the reason why you do not accept your job anymore, and it is nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe your colleagues managed to handle the workload and you didn't, but it doesn't make you worse.

They just did better in the particular area or skill, and you would do better in a different area. At that place wasn't a match, and you left the chore, or the company terminated your contract. It'southward perfectly fine to refer to these things in your interview answers, as long as yous do not prove overly negative emotions towards your former manager. Check sample answers no. 1 and no 7. for a good example.

* Special Tip: This isn't the only difficult question you will face while interviewing for any decent job. You will face questions about prioritization, dealing with pressure, dealing with ambiguity, and other tricky scenarios that happen in the workplace. If you want to make sure that yous stand out with your answers and outclass your competitors, have a await at our Interview Success Package. Upwardly to 10 premium answers to 31 tricky scenario based questions (+ more) volition make your life much easier in the interviews. Thanks for checking information technology out!

Show your willingness to meliorate

Perfect employees exercise not be–anybody has some weaknesses. Merely it's an attitude to our weaknesses that separates boilerplate people from exceptional people.

Exceptional employees (and y'all should try to present yourself as such in any job interview) do not struggle to admit their weaknesses. What'due south more than, they induce the managers to tell them what could be done better. Because they do not want to stay at the aforementioned spot for ten years. They attempt to amend on their weaknesses, and they enjoy the process.

You will win many interviewers over with this mental attitude. See sample answers no. 5 and no. half-dozen as a practiced example of demonstrating this attitude.

There's more to life than work

While it is great to take some meaningful occupation and to try hard in job, everything has some limits. Because if yous spend all your fourth dimension working or thinking about work, yous will eventually face a burnout, and your relationships will struggle.

Part of an employee isn't your only part in life. You are a son/daughter, father or mother (or may become one after), a friend, mayhap a believer… You have many roles in this life, and should not give all your time and attention to the office of an employee.

But that's what many managers wait from their subordinates–an unwavering loyalty, 70+ hours in an office each week, and taking work dwelling house. If this was what your former manager wanted you to improve on, you lot tin cite information technology as your reason for quitting. No need to be ashamed of it. What's more, with this answer you lot avert a need to talk about real weaknesses :). See sample reply no. 3 for your inspiration.

Determination, answers to other tricky interview questions

Each of us experiences all kinds of relationships in the workplace. You may work under a keen manager who has understanding for your weaknesses and for your life outside of work, and who helps you to grow as a person.

Just yous may likewise experience a despotic manager with unrealistic expectations, who tries to convince you to slave for the visitor, and to virtually live in your role.

Regardless of what you experienced in your final job, try to explicate it clearly to the hiring managers, showing right attitude to work and a willingness to amend on your weaknesses.

Read the sample answers in one case again, notice one that resonates with your personal experience, and adjust it slightly to friction match your real experiences. Once washed, I suggest yous to check our Interview Success Package ii.0, for premium answers to 104 interview questions, including each tough scenario-based question you may face.

Thanks, I wish you good luck in your interview!

Matthew Chulaw, Your personal interview motorcoach

  • Author
  • Recent Posts

Matthew Chulaw

Latest posts past Matthew Chulaw (see all)